Arts and Crafts Through History
Coat of Arms
1. Choose a shape to use as your base.
2. Choose the symbols to represent yourself.
3. Decide on how many sections you will divide the shape into and what type of Heraldic lines you will use to divide them.
4. Draw your symbols in and/or around the shape and the sections.
5. Clean up the drawing to resemble a coloring book page. Lines only!
6. Place the drawing over your Styrofoam and trace it, pressing hard, into the foam as you go.
7. Use an x-acto knife to cut away areas around the raised images or symbols and Heraldic lines.
8. Use an emery board to file the edges and smooth the corners.
9. Cut the outside shape out and file it until it is smooth.
10. Mix Plaster of Paris 1 part water to 2 parts plaster. Smooth it over the entire surface of the Styrofoam.
11. Let the plaster dry over night.
12. Paint the Coat of Arms with paint and add all details to the patterning.
13. Glue on jewels, feathers, and/or copper pieces to decorate it further.